The Play--Facts and Tidbits
- Won a Tony Award for Best Broadway Play in 1979.
- Screenplay written by Bernard Pomerance -- Click here to view paperback book
- Producer: Richard Crinkley; Director: Jack Hofsiss
- David Bowie took over the lead role of John Merrick from the English actor Philip Anglim
- Prior to opening day, Bowie rehearsed his role with the cast for two weeks in San Francisco. Click here to view drawing of Bowie during rehearsals.
- Performance Dates
- July 29 to August 3, 1980 – Denver's Centre of the Performing Arts
- August 5 to 31, 1980 – Chicago's Blackstone Theatre
- September 23, 1980 to January 3, 1981 – New
York's Booth Theatre.
Click here to view playbill
- During the performances, there was some concern that Bowie might
fall off the stage. Since most of his vision comes from one eye, he has
difficulty perceiving depth. To avoid a catastrophe,
the production was moved further away from the edge of the stage.
- A few years later, Jon Hurt, along with Anthony Hopkins,Wendy Hiller,
and Anne Bancroft, starred in the movie
The Elephant Man which also won high praise for